Marble is one of the most exquisite stones that could be used in homes either for countertops or for flooring purposes. However, this stone is much more porous than other minerals and as such is quite prone to staining. It also retains these stains much easier than other stones that are dense. As such, you should take considerable care when you own marble countertops or tile flooring.
So what are some of the top cleaning solutions for marble countertops? Below we share with you six tips for cleaning marble countertops.
1. When wiping down marble, ensure that you do so with lukewarm water with a soft cloth. Once in a while, you could use mild detergents, such as a specified marble cleaner, but ensure that they do not contain too many harsh chemicals as these would ruin the sealer on the marble. Once you have finished cleaning the marble countertops, ensure that you wipe them dry to avoid streaking.
2. For people who would like to care for their marble countertops a step further, you could consider waxing them from time to time. Although the marble countertops will come with marble sealer, the extra coat of wax will provide additional protection.
3. Keep acidic substances away from marble. Marble is a gorgeous material and although it is not as dense as granite, it is still quite durable. However, it does not react well with acidic substances. These will include liquids such as wine, juice, coffee and more. Spills from acidic substances will cause chemical etching to the marble countertops and this will compromise its appearance.
4. Install marble in areas that experience little traffic. The most common areas for marble installation tend to be kitchen countertops as well as bathroom countertops. Although they make these areas look appealing, the countertops are also much more prone to succumb to wear and tear in these regions. The best places to install marble would be powder bath, surrounding tuba, stone fireplaces, floor tiles as well as table tops. When using marble as floor tiles, ensure you place mats and rugs on areas that experience a lot of foot traffic.
5. If you would like to keep you marble countertops shiny and new, ensure that they are exposed to very little amounts of dust as well as dirt. That is why it important to wipe the marble every day so as not to let the dust get a chance to settle and accumulate. In addition to this, dirt and grime could end up being abrasive to the marble. That is why it is essential to ensure that the marble surfaces are not covered in dirt.
6. If you have marble floor tiles, it is advisable to have visitors take their shoes off at the door before they come in. If this is not an option, then you should have entrance mats for them to scrape of the dirt from their shoes. Small pieces of grit in the shoes will cause scratches to the marble. When cleaning marble floors, use a soft mop or a broom with soft bristles. Vacuuming the marble would also be a good option before cleaning marble but ensure that there is no grit caught in the wheels of the vacuum cleaner.
Well there you have it. Six tips cleaning tips to help sustain the life of your marble countertops. Just be sure to use the right marble cleaner to ensure optimal protection and sustainability.continue...
Mindless eating plagues the American culture as access to food is often times right around the corner. Many of us are guilty of eating without thinking, or eating when we're not even hungry. Whether our excuse is boredom, depression, or some other reason, the excuses for mindless eating need to be put aside.
To break the habits of mindless eating, you need to be conscious of those moments when the fridge or pantry sounds enticing. Being aware of those impulses is the first step to overcoming such eating habits.
Below we offer four tips to help you avoid mindless eating:
Perhaps the best way to avoid mindless eating is to not buy foods that promote such behaviors. These are typically snack foods like chips and cookies that we tend to buy on impulse while at the grocery store.
Simply put: make a health grocery list, and stick to it. Your list may not consist the food you really desire, but the food that's readily available will significantly help you decide if you truly need a snack, or if you’re wandering to the pantry out of boredom.
Writing down everything you consume, including the amount, calorie count, time of day, and any notes about how you felt after eating. A food log can help keep yourself in check. And if you're dieting, a food log will help you keep track of you daily calorie intake. In short, you should be well aware of you mindless eating habits if you see them written down over a peroid time.
Although this tip might sound a little odd, for some it migh make perfect sense. Keeping a few bucks on you might be a good enough reason to grab that candy bar from the vending machine. The idea is to not even make this mindless purchase an option. If you're easily prompted to buy unhealthy snacks on impulse, leave your cash and coins either in your car or at home.
Whether your headed for the pantry or the refrigerator door, pause and check your truly feelings and emotions. Are you hungry? How hungry are you? What would be the ideal thing to eat to satisfy you?
Instead of letting your mindless drive take over your eating habits, be conscious of your motives and be honest with yourself. Some times walking away is the best approach.continue...
There are various ways to ensure your hair is neat and healthy. Taking a healthy diet is one of the surest ways to keep your hair healthy. Away from consumption of foods, you can also ensure that your hair is as perfect as you wish it to be. All a person has to do is follow some very simple tips for healthy hair.
* Wash the oily hair on a regular basis. The number of times you need to wash your hair depends on the amount of oil produced by your scalp. If you have an oily scalp, you should consider washing it at least once a day. On the other hand, if you treat your hair with chemicals, you should consider washing it less frequently because it is drier. As you keep aging, your scalp produces less oil. Therefore, you should not use the shampoo frequently. This can result to dandruff plus other scalp ailments.
* Use most of the shampoo around your scalp. Any time you wash your hair, focus on cleaning mainly the scalp instead of cleaning the whole hair length. If you wash the hair alone, you can end up nurturing flyaway hair that is coarse and dull. To avoid such a scenario, shampoo your scalp as often as you wash the hair.
* After every shampoo, utilize the conditioner. It is recommended that you use the conditioner after using the shampoo unless the shampoo you are using is 2-in-1 hence able to clean and condition the hair. When you use a conditioner, you will immensely improve the appearance of weathered or damaged hair. This is because the conditioner will help to increase the shine, improve strength and lower static electricity. In addition, a conditioner helps to protect your hair from the harmful UV rays.
* Concentrate the conditioner around your hair tips. Since conditioners can cause your fine hair to appear limp, you should only use them on the tips of your hair. This means you should not use them on the length of your hair or around your scalp. This will give your hair a great look.
* Select the conditioner and shampoo designed mainly to suit the type of your hair. For instance, if you have colored the hair, use the shampoo designed specifically for the color-treated hair. On the contrary, if you hair is chemically treated or damaged, you can utilize the 2-in-1 shampoo. Irrespective of the cost, most conditioner and shampoo brands provide similar benefits.
* Protect your hair whenever you swim. Most swimming pools contain chlorine. You should therefore, guard your hair from the damages resulting from chlorine. The best way to achieve this is to condition and wet the hair prior to swimming. Put on a tight-fitting cap while swimming and only utilize the specially formulated swimming shampoo and a deep conditioner after swimming. These will help to replace the lost moisture.
These are the basic tips to help you take care of your hair. However, if you have questions or perhaps need more information related to hair care, you should consider contacting the dermatologist or perhaps ask a knowledgeable expert at your local hair salon.
This article was contributed by the hair salon experts at Five Senses Spa & Salon.continue...
Winter comes with its own brand of maladies. The onslaught of influenza is associated with the Winter season, and not for the reasons that seem obvious. It is more because of the fact that people stay close together than for the fact that it gets really cold. Thus, the first thing to do is to get a flu shot, the earlier the better.
The same applies to all communicable diseases as people start to cozy up to one another in the Christmas spirit. Unfortunately, those who start to show signs of heavy colds and flus should be kept in their rooms for as long as possible until it is over. This type of home based quarantine is very effective in curbing infections from the onset. The person who is down with the flu heals faster and does not get re-infected down the line.
Washing or wiping down everything that is touched by many with antibacterial soaps and solutions is also highly effective. Catching a cold is usually the first indicator that your immunity is low. The cold may be getting to you and you are not keeping warm enough. If don't take the necessary precautions to ward-off the cold the situation could worsen into more serious ailments.
One should minimize the time outdoors by planning a schedule that specifies outdoor activities be it shopping, driving to work or social calls. Doing them at one go means that you will not have to keep going out and keep exposing yourself. Do not be overconfident because you are young and hot blooded. The cold has a way of creeping in and dropping your mean body temperature.
Hats, scarves, socks, winter boots, and layers go without saying if you are keen on enjoying your white Christmas. In some states it gets dreary and grey instead of white with drizzles or blizzards. If it is within your sights, then escape to warmer climates but if not stick to the winter health tips and you will sail through. Keep watching the thermometer and the local weather report for the best times to go out.
Layers also include oiling your skin especially on your lips to prevent from cracking. Try to make the showers hot and not cold or lukewarm. Always try to counter any cold registered on your person. For example, if you come out for skinny dipping, have a tub of hot water waiting to undo the negative part of that therapy.
Check the house for spots where the cold is “leaking” in. It could be around the windows, ceiling or even walls. Have them fixed sooner rather than later, if you are not sure then do not do it yourself as you could aggravate the situation. You could also expose yourself to more cold in the process. Move your bed closer to the heater if you have to. If the dry heat is de-moisturizing, you may have to cover it with a wet towel.
You should be careful not to doze close to a charcoal burner or fireplace with a clogged chimney. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is real and you may never wake up. Forming a habit of stretching improves circulation and gets you warmer. Light to heavy exercise will also do you good.continue...
Every time you opt to take fresh juices to improve your health, there are nutrients, flavor profiles, and various other characteristics you want to maximize.
It could be fresh orange, pineapple or mango juice as per your preference, but including select veggies can not only added more nutrients, but also smoothen the flavor.
Not all types of fruits make great juices. Some are better than others. It is important that you know these tips to avoid wasting money as well as your precious time. Below are 7 tips to help you start juicing for better health.
1. Exposing your kids to juicing - In order to add more fun to the process of making juice at home, involve your kids. When you go shopping for fruits take them along and ask them to give you suggestions on the fruits they like. To make it sweeter and more attractive, add some ripe bananas, ice and flavored milk. Vanilla and strawberry are some of the common flavors. Blend these together. Serve the juice and provide your kids with straws.
2. Remove all pulp - Some fruits when blended produce a thick pulpy mixture. Not many people enjoy the sensation caused by this pulp. If you want to rid your juices of this, you can try passing it through a filter. Coffee filters and cheese cloths help eliminate pulp leaving you with a smooth flowing drink.
3. Getting the right flavor - For every juice that you prepare, listen to your taste buds. Your body can tell you what it likes. On the other hand, if you get a stomach upset after a glass of juice, it means there is an ingredient that your body does not like. Find out what it is and avoid it during the next preparation. Since some of the ingredients you are trying to avoid could be the most nutritious, mix them with vegetables and other fruits. This will rid your juice of unwanted flavors.
4. Start from the known to the unknown - Start with those fruits that you enjoy eating whole. You could have liking for bananas, oranges or mangoes for that matter. You will find that you enjoy juices from such fruits since it is what you are familiar with. Once you are adept at blending your favorite fruits, try introducing variations and see how they come out.
5. Know your fruits - There are some fruits whose nutritional value is highly preserved when you blend them without removing their peels. For instance, apple skins contain high concentrations of antioxidants than you would find in other parts of the fruit. Conversely, the peels of grapes and oranges may contain traces of pesticides. Such fruits should be peeled before being used to make juice.
6. Creatively combine fruits and vegetables - Vegetable juices are healthier than fruit based ones. Always make sure that your juice consists of at least 50-70 percent of vegetables. The rest should be made up of fruits. Some of the greens you can use include broccoli, kale and spinach. This can optimize the level of nutrition in your juice.
7. Do your homework - Before you embark on a fresh juice health program, do some research and find out about fruits, vegetables and their nutritional value. You could also ask a dietician to assist. Get recipes from books, friends or the Internet.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.