Like your chiropractor always says, take care of your spine and live with mindful, good posture. Did you listen to your chiropractor? Learn more about the spine and taking care of your spinal health.
Your spinal column is composed of nerves, muscles, and ligaments. These serve as the primary connection areas that function your body.
Therefore, it is important to keep your spine in optimal condition if you want to maintain good overall health. There are several simple things you could try to keep your spine as healthy as possible.
Likewise, this would prevent any complications from your back and/or future painful episodes. Here are some of the best practices that you could do to maintain optimal spinal health.
For those who aren't aware, one of the most essential components of a healthy spine is exercise. Performing back and abdominal exercises (these parts don't get enough exercise from daily activities) would be efficient to keep your spine healthy.
These exercises are quite simple and you could easily perform them in just 20-30 minutes, as a part of your regular routine. However, if your back and abdominal muscles aren't in good shape, the additional pressure could be placed on the spine. Your chiropractor in Berkeley, or wherever you're located can help show you this exercises.
This part is already under constant stress as it tries to support your entire body. Nonetheless, when these muscles are well-maintained, they could support the spine and alleviate the chances of injuries.
As advocated by a number of different chiropractors, Yoga offers incredible benefits on the spine. One of the many benefits of regular yoga is that it could improve the functional range of motion across the whole body. Wherein, greater flexibility combined with agility could prevent or lessen the likelihood of chronic pain and spine injuries. Through yoga, the spinal column's range of motion expands and chronic tension patterns could be released.
Sleeping enables your spine to relax and be rejuvenated. Using the right pillow and mattress would support the spine that the ligaments and muscles could be stress-free and become refreshed. When it comes to choosing the type of pillow and mattress to use, this would greatly depend on your personal preference. Just keep in mind that the basis of these choices should ensure that the correct support and sleeping position would be achieved.
Chiropractic usually involves the treatment of the lower back, such as spinal manipulation and mobilization. In chiropractic care, spinal manipulation, refers to a lever-arm thrust in high-velocity that's applied to abnormal vertebra. The goal of this is to increase functionality, restore flexibility, and lessen nerve irritability. On the other hand, mobilization is the low-velocity manipulation, stretching, and movement of the joints and muscles with an aim of improving the overall flexibility in these areas. Overall, chiropractic services can help sustain proper spinal alignment and overall functioning.
Regular stretching could help the back and neck. Likewise, keeping it flexible helps in maintaining the normal joint function and a good range of motion, reducing the risks of injury. Most back pain problems are caused by tight hamstrings-- the muscles located at the back of your legs.
If the hamstrings are tense, they would pull on the bottom of the pelvis. This would encourage it to rotate backward and cause postural changes whilst adding tension on the entire spine. That's why it is important to start your day with a few stretches. Aside from being invigorating, this could promote your spinal health. In addition to stretching, massage (whether getting a professional massage or doing soft tissue work by yourself) can help keep the muscles around the spine loose. Even if you opt for only a 15 minute massage, if it's a professional massage that targets a specific area of the body or spine, the results can be profound.
Overall, the tips mentioned above are just some of the simple, yet effective ways to keep your spine and back healthy. Also, even if you're in a very bad pain, or perhaps, undergoing extensive medical treatments, it's still recommended to remember these simple things you can do to help your back heal and get healthier over time.continue...
The phrase "screen time" denotes the activities that are done in front of a digital screen. Whether it be watching TV, working on the computer, playing video games, or using mobile phones and iPods, screen time is never a healthy endeavor (aside from learning something.) In fact, too much screen time, particularly in kids, can be bad for one's health.
Screen time is regarded as a sedentary time because very little energy is spent when you are physically inactive. Hence too much screen time combined with a sedentary lifestyle can definitely take a toll on your child’s overall well-being. Yes, excessive screen time, whether from the TV or iPod, can result in a wide array of problems – from physical conditions like obesity to mental issues like Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
So before you or kid overuses their computer or iPod beyond repair, be aware of some of the health side effects of too much screen time. Some of the following problems can associated with too much screen time.
1. Obesity: Various studies evidence that children who watch TV for more than two hours in a day are prone to be obese than others. This is because they sit inactive for hours, often snacking unhealthy food items. Obesity is dangerous as it is a major risk factor for numerous health problems. Moreover obesity in children can also lead to a feeling of isolation and inadequacy.
2. Irregular sleep patterns: Similarly a child who watches TV for more than two hours is likely to suffer from irregular sleep patterns accompanied by strange nightmares and dreams. If your child spends a lot of time playing games in the computer the self-luminous back lit display in the computer can cause the melatonin levels to drop making him/her difficult to sleep.
3. Behavioral problems: Viewing TV for more than two hours can lead to behavioral problems and poor social skills. Excessive watching of TV, or obsessively reaching for an iPod or smartphone, can also pave the way for anti-social behavior. Spending too much time in front of the computers can cause physical changes in the brain and lead to attention and behavioral issues. Too much video gaming can also permanently or temporarily deactivate certain nerves in the brain.
4. Impaired academic performance and less time for play: Excessive TV time has also been linked with other negative outcomes like poor academic performance and less physical play. Too much screen time leaves less time for creative and active play which is indispensable for the growth of the child.
5. Emotional problems: Too much time spent in front of the screen can cause emotional problems such as depression and anxiety in children. Moreover, children who spend more time in front of the TV or computer have reduced levels of self-worth, self-esteem and happiness.
6. Violence and fear: Exposure to excess doses of violence can also make them more aggressive and less sympathetic towards people. Excess TV viewing can also trigger feelings of fear when they watch scary things.
7. Other problems: Excessive use of phones and tablets can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, eye strain, frequent headaches, neck pain and back pain too. Research studies also depict that too much computer time or sitting glued to the TV may also hurt your heart and shorten your life span.
To limit screen time it is best to keep TV’s and computers out of bedroom. Moreover children should not be allowed to eat in front of the screen as it can lead to mindless munching, which paves the way for obesity. Involving them in alternative activities can prevent them from spending too much time in front of the screen. Most of all we have to set a good example by restricting our screen time.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.