Superfoods are small category of foods that promote optimal health. Not enough people include superfoods in their daily diet. As a result, those individuals may encounter issues of weak immunity or nutrient deficiency.
So to enlighten you on the various types of superfoods, along with some of the health benefits of each, we describe six of the top superfoods for optimal health.
Blueberries contain both phytoflavinoids and antioxidants, which help promote stronger immunity. They also comprise of vitamin C and calcium, hence nutritionists and doctors like them. They are not only anti-inflammatory, but can also reduce cancer and heart disease risks.
Studies show that omega 3 found in fish reduces risks of heart diseases, helps arthritis and may also help to address Alzheimer’s and loss of memory. There is also evidence that it lowers depression levels.
It is commonly found in cold-water and fatty fish. You should go for wild rather than farmed salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel. You should purpose to have two or three servings each week. You can find other types of omega 3 in flax seed, fortified eggs and walnuts. The superfoods contain monounsaturated fats that can reduce cholesterol levels.
A diet full of fiber will assist you to have the right cholesterol levels as well as the required blood sugar amounts. In addition, fiber provides a higher satiety value, thus, it is a perfect tool in managing weight. It is mainly found in beans, fruits, whole grains and vegetables. You can include some beans within your salad or use dried ones. You may also utilize canned ones though they contain large amounts sodium.
The general antioxidant power contained in black tea is similar to that of green tea. However, green tea contains ECGC, an effective antioxidant that many people have not realized. The most recent Japanese study shows that men who took green tea on a regular basis had lower cholesterol levels compared to those who did not. Research in both the UK and Spain has shown that ECGC can hinder cancer cells from growing. If you want greater health benefits, use tea instead of the sugary sodas
You should be aware that calcium helps in prevention of osteoporosis and in building strong bones. You can get this element in supplements or dairy products. There are studies that reveal another benefit of calcium; helping with weight loss. It is recommended that people aged between 9 and 18 years use 1300 mg, those between 19 and 50 years to take 1000 mg and those with 51 or more years to utilize 1200 mg of Calcium.
Latest research shows that dark chocolate contains antioxidants that help to reduce blood pressure. It is recommended you for the chocolate that has at least 60 percent cocoa content, and the darker it is, the better. Moreover, darker chocolate has a lower sugar and fat content.
What are some of your favorite superfoods? How do you like to prepare them? Let us know in the comments section below!continue...
I’ve always praised the benefits of including superfoods in your diet. They are perfect for boosting your metabolism, can help you gain muscle fast and drop body fat as well.
But superfoods have many more benefits than just improving your metabolism and physique.
Many people overlook the importance of superfoods when it comes to brain health.
Superfoods can improve cognitive function, neurological focus and even your mood. Superfoods can also help you lower your stress levels and deal with life’s everyday demands.
So I’ve decided to write this article on the best superfoods to improve your brain health. Here are 10 foods that can help you do so:
1. Salmon - Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids and these healthy fats can have a significant impact on the health of your brain. Salmon can help you concentrate and stay alert; something that I’m sure we all wish we could do on a regular basis.
2. Blueberries - Blueberries are simply a fantastic food to include in your diet. They contain antioxidants which can help to strengthen connections between brain cells and improve your overall mental thinking. Some recent research done on blueberries indicates that they can help infants early on in life by helping them build stronger neuron connections as well.
3. Dark Chocolate - Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and contains many natural stimulants such as caffeine, which as we all know can help keep you alert and awake at all hours of the day.
4. Broccoli - Broccoli contains many brain protecting compounds and is also high in vitamin C, which has been proven to improve cognitive function.
5. Seeds - Things like pumpkin seeds, grape seeds and nutiva organic chia seeds contain many vitamins and minerals that can improve your ability to focus. Some of these include magnesium and zinc.
6. Whole Grains - The fiber in whole grains not only help you stay full and lose weight fast, but whole grains but the Vitamin B content in whole grains has been shown to make you more alert.
7. Avocado - Not only is avocado absolutely delicious, but eating avocado on a regular basis can help support a healthy brain, due to the vitamin E content in the food and the healthy fats it contains. Including more healthy fats in your diet can definitely improve brain function and there was actually a study done on pilots about this topic. The more fat the pilots ate, the better their ability to fly a plane and the less fat they ate, the more their performance in the air suffered. It’s amazing how much of a difference one macronutrient can make. Eat fat!
8. Green Tea - Just like dark chocolate, green tea is high in antioxidants and caffeine which can lower your stress levels, improve your mood and keep you focused and alert at all hours of the day.
9. Nuts - Rather your goal is to lose weight or to improve your brain health, nuts are a fantastic snack to help you do so. The high fat content, protein and vitamins can help keep you on top of your game.
10. Water - Yeah, I know this isn’t a food, but research indicates that the more hydrated you are, the better you will score on tests. So always drink enough water, especially on that big exam day! I drink about a gallon of water per day.
About the Author My name is Drew and I have been a fitness coach for the past 12 years, helping my clients pack on muscle and lose fat. My life revolves around fitness and I absolutely love what I do! I will continue to help people achieve their fitness goals for the rest of my life. Follow me on Google+.continue...
The processes and cells which support vibrant and strong hair mostly depend on balanced diet. Both bad and good changes in the hair would manifest itself after quite a longer time as compared to changes in the skin and hair folicals.
So to get your started on a dietery means to fabulous looking hair, below are seven of the best foods to eat for healthy hair.
Salmon is very rich in vitamin D, proteins and omega 3 fatty acids. A person's body cannot manufacture enough of fatty acids which are essential for the growth of hair and thus the need to be supplemented. Fatty acids are mainly found in the scalp cell membrane and natural oils. They keep your hair and scalp hydrated.
Other options- For those individuals who are not impressed with salmon fish, they can opt for sardine, herring, mackerel and scout to get essential and important fatty acids. They can also use pumpkin seeds, walnuts and avocado.
Walnut is the only kind of nut with a rather significant level of omega 3 fatty acids. They are only rich in vitamin E and biotin which plays a role of protecting the cells from the damage of DNA. This is great especially because the hair rarely receives shielding from the sun's rays. Also walnuts have copper which keeps your hair rich in color and shiny.
Lack of zinc can result in flaky or even worse loss of hair. Oysters have zinc and their consumption could help prevent hair loss. Zinc can be found in whole grain breads and fortified cereals but zinc from oyster is the best because it has also proteins. Proteins are essential for the body to replace the hair that is shed naturally each and every day. You can get zinc with nuts, eggs and beef.
Sweet potato is a source of antioxidant beta carotene that the body eventually converts to vitamin A. Basically no cell of the body can work when vitamin A is not enough. It also assists in protection and production of oil meant to sustain the scalp. Other options that can be used are carrots, mangoes and pumpkins.
An egg is a great source of proteins and has four minerals: selenium, zinc, iron and sulfur. Iron helps in transporting oxygen to the follicles of the hair thus very crucial. Most common hair loss especially in women is caused by too little iron. Iron source can also be boosted with chicken, fish and other animal sources.
Spinach has iron, folate, beta carotene and vitamin C that keep scalp oil circulating and hair follicles healthy. Other leafy vegetables such as kale and broccoli can serve the same purpose as spinach.
These are legumes that are rich in iron, protein, biotin and zinc. Yes, they are tiny but mighty. They are therefore great especially for the meat eaters and the vegetarians. Soybeans and kidney beans can act as a substitute for this and can be added into your salad or food.
Beyond the treatments you can receive at your local hair salon in Peoria, Illinois, food and nutrition are elemtnal to healthy looking hair. Other than the food we eat, hormonal imbalances, smoking and lack of enough sleep can impact on the look and feel of your hair. These are considerations you should keep in mind to keep your hair healthy and resilient.
In conclusion, eating a balanced diet is highly recommended as far as the care of hair is concerned. These foods basically help to nourish your hair and thus maintain its shiny and glamorous look.continue...
Although these signs are embarrassing and upsetting, they are important warning signs that you should start taking good care of your hair and scalp before things get worse. However, to ensure good health of your hair you need tips to guide you. There are several ways through which you can keep your hair and scalp naturally healthy.
1. Washing hair correctly: Washing hair daily causes stripping of natural oils of the hair and the scalp by showers and baths. As such, it is not advisable to wash hair every day. When you wash your hair, massage the scalp using an appropriate conditioner or shampoo for about 40 seconds and then wash it out. This helps in increasing blood circulation in the scalp and reducing dandruff. If you have wavy or curly hair, use silicone or sulfate free shampoo. Always wash your hair in a cool setting. This helps in sealing hair cuticles while locking in moisture which is good for a healthy scalp.
2. Do not brush your hair before drying it: Wet hair is likely to break when brushed. Therefore, dry your hair carefully using a blow dryer. Hold the blow dryer at a distance to protect your hair and scalp from heat. When brushing, use a bristle brush that will distribute oil in your hair making it shinier and softer.
3. Treat your hair: Use natural conditioning treatments on your hair regularly. Such conditioning treatments include mayonnaise, full-fat milk, egg and olive oil. Rinse the treatment thoroughly after two to three hours but do not apply shampoo when you use them. Treating your hair and scalp twice every week will enhance the health of your hair and scalp.
4. Use styling products wisely: If not used carefully, styling products will dry the scalp. To avoid this, stop using styling products more often. Styling your hair at most four times per week will help in preventing hair and scalp damage. To accessorize your hair, use barrettes or clips. You can coordinate these accessories with your personality or outfits to achieve the look that you desire. If you must use elastics, go for fabric-covered elastics that will prevent hair tangles and breakages.
5. Adopt a good diet: Eating healthy foods will keep your scalp and hair naturally healthier. A good diet can also prevent problems that lead to hair loss. Omega 3 fatty acids and other essential fatty acids are vital in promoting a healthy scalp, hair, skin and nails. Include foods that supply your body with these fatty acids in your diet daily. Such foods include fatty fish like tuna, salmon and mackerel. Other foods that can supply essential fatty acids to your body include fax seeds oil, milk, almonds and walnuts.
Your goal should be to keep your scalp and hair naturally oily and strong. Following these tips will help you achieve this if you practice them regularly.continue...
If you're an endurance athlete who is trying to recovery from an injury, we feel your pain. Injuries are never easy to deal with, both physically and psychologically. So in this blog post, we highlight a number of different strategies to help you become better and bounce back from you injury will full mobility and confidence.
Sports injuries often occur because of poor mobility, which is typically a result of tight soft tissues and horrible flexibility. Address you injury by assessing all of the surrounding soft tissues. So for instance, if you knee is in pain, check to see how tight your quads, hamstrings, and calves are. If they're freakishly tight, roll them out with a stiff foam roller, stretch them out, and smash them with other tools, such as a lacrosse ball. For more ways to stay supple, check out Mobility WOD which is jammed-pack with great ideas to work on your mobility.
Skeletal and muscular imbalances are also a common way in which injuries can arise. Because not everyone has access to a sports physical therapist, consulting with holistic health professional, such as a chiropractor, can help you pinpoint such alignment and imbalance issues. Find a local chiropractor who can perform some basic tests and give you can X-ray.
In addition to working on your mobility at home, you can also see specialists to deep tissue work. Sports massage therapists and ART (active release technque) professionals are who you want to go to first. These individuals will help work out the adhesions and knots found in your tissues, helping to restore blood flow and mobility in areas that need it most.
When recovering from an injury, one of the most overlooked ways to encourage rapid recovery is to eat nutrient dense foods. Opt for dark leafy greens, colorful fruits and vegetables, and lots and lots of healthy fats, particularly omega-3 fatty acids. The latter will help restore the sliding muscle surface in knotted-up areas of your body, while everything else will help with healing. Also consume anti-inflammatory foods like ginger, green tea extract, and garlic, to name a few.
In the PM hours of the evening, relax with an epsom salt bath or compress. Epsom salts are rich in magnesium, which is a mineral that's often depleted during strenous endurance training. Pour 2-3 cups of empsom salt in you batch and soak for 15-20 minutes. Not only will you body feel relaxed, but your muscles will feel softened, too.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.