Every time you opt to take fresh juices to improve your health, there are nutrients, flavor profiles, and various other characteristics you want to maximize.
It could be fresh orange, pineapple or mango juice as per your preference, but including select veggies can not only added more nutrients, but also smoothen the flavor.
Not all types of fruits make great juices. Some are better than others. It is important that you know these tips to avoid wasting money as well as your precious time. Below are 7 tips to help you start juicing for better health.
1. Exposing your kids to juicing - In order to add more fun to the process of making juice at home, involve your kids. When you go shopping for fruits take them along and ask them to give you suggestions on the fruits they like. To make it sweeter and more attractive, add some ripe bananas, ice and flavored milk. Vanilla and strawberry are some of the common flavors. Blend these together. Serve the juice and provide your kids with straws.
2. Remove all pulp - Some fruits when blended produce a thick pulpy mixture. Not many people enjoy the sensation caused by this pulp. If you want to rid your juices of this, you can try passing it through a filter. Coffee filters and cheese cloths help eliminate pulp leaving you with a smooth flowing drink.
3. Getting the right flavor - For every juice that you prepare, listen to your taste buds. Your body can tell you what it likes. On the other hand, if you get a stomach upset after a glass of juice, it means there is an ingredient that your body does not like. Find out what it is and avoid it during the next preparation. Since some of the ingredients you are trying to avoid could be the most nutritious, mix them with vegetables and other fruits. This will rid your juice of unwanted flavors.
4. Start from the known to the unknown - Start with those fruits that you enjoy eating whole. You could have liking for bananas, oranges or mangoes for that matter. You will find that you enjoy juices from such fruits since it is what you are familiar with. Once you are adept at blending your favorite fruits, try introducing variations and see how they come out.
5. Know your fruits - There are some fruits whose nutritional value is highly preserved when you blend them without removing their peels. For instance, apple skins contain high concentrations of antioxidants than you would find in other parts of the fruit. Conversely, the peels of grapes and oranges may contain traces of pesticides. Such fruits should be peeled before being used to make juice.
6. Creatively combine fruits and vegetables - Vegetable juices are healthier than fruit based ones. Always make sure that your juice consists of at least 50-70 percent of vegetables. The rest should be made up of fruits. Some of the greens you can use include broccoli, kale and spinach. This can optimize the level of nutrition in your juice.
7. Do your homework - Before you embark on a fresh juice health program, do some research and find out about fruits, vegetables and their nutritional value. You could also ask a dietician to assist. Get recipes from books, friends or the Internet.continue...
Most people think it's cheaper to eat prepackaged convenience foods than it is to eat healthy food. "It's expensive to buy good food" is a common complaint. But is that really true?
Probably, if you're comparing cost per calorie, but if you're comparing cost per nutritional value, there's no contest. Healthy food is the better value every time and lets face it, most of us and our kids are not lacking in calorie intake, but getting all of the nutrition we need can be a challenge.
Let's compare two common snacks - a peanut butter cookie and an apple.
Let's say a single cookie and an apple bought in a convenience store both costs about a dollar. You get about 120 calories from the cookie and only 100 calories from the apple so it seems like you're getting a little more for your money with the cookie, right?
Not so fast. Let's compare the nutritional value.
The cookie provides zero vitamin A and zero vitamin C, less than a half a gram of fiber, about 6 grams of unhealthy fat and over 15 grams of added sugars for sweetening.
The apple, on the other hand, provides 75 IUs of vitamin A, 8 mgs of vitamin C, over a gram of fiber, less than half a gram of fat and about 20 grams of natural, healthy, energy-producing fruit sugar (among many other vitamins and nutrients).
It's easy to see the apple provides a lot more nutrition and a lot less unhealthy fat and sugar than the peanut butter cookie, for the same amount of money. And, the apple will provide just as much, if not more, relief from hunger pangs.
Healthy snacks, such as fresh fruits and vegetables or unsalted nuts and seeds, bought in bulk and divided into convenient snack portion sizes make great nutritional and financial sense. Just store them in your refrigerator and pack them into reusable cotton snack bags to take with you whenever you venture away from home.
Buying in bulk saves you money. Doing your own preparation and packaging of snacks saves you money. Packing snacks in reusable snack bags saves a small fortune in plastic baggies and helps to also protect the environment. But that's not all.
According to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health, the standard American diet of fast, fat and fried foods is responsible for killing three out of every four Americans every year. The American junk food diet greatly contributes to our national epidemic of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, heart disease and certain forms of cancer.
By packing healthy snacks for your eco-friendly lunch products, you'll be taking care of your own health and pocketbook while also contributing to lower health care costs for you and your family well into in the future.continue...
If you're an endurance athlete who is trying to recovery from an injury, we feel your pain. Injuries are never easy to deal with, both physically and psychologically. So in this blog post, we highlight a number of different strategies to help you become better and bounce back from you injury will full mobility and confidence.
Sports injuries often occur because of poor mobility, which is typically a result of tight soft tissues and horrible flexibility. Address you injury by assessing all of the surrounding soft tissues. So for instance, if you knee is in pain, check to see how tight your quads, hamstrings, and calves are. If they're freakishly tight, roll them out with a stiff foam roller, stretch them out, and smash them with other tools, such as a lacrosse ball. For more ways to stay supple, check out Mobility WOD which is jammed-pack with great ideas to work on your mobility.
Skeletal and muscular imbalances are also a common way in which injuries can arise. Because not everyone has access to a sports physical therapist, consulting with holistic health professional, such as a chiropractor, can help you pinpoint such alignment and imbalance issues. Find a local chiropractor who can perform some basic tests and give you can X-ray.
In addition to working on your mobility at home, you can also see specialists to deep tissue work. Sports massage therapists and ART (active release technque) professionals are who you want to go to first. These individuals will help work out the adhesions and knots found in your tissues, helping to restore blood flow and mobility in areas that need it most.
When recovering from an injury, one of the most overlooked ways to encourage rapid recovery is to eat nutrient dense foods. Opt for dark leafy greens, colorful fruits and vegetables, and lots and lots of healthy fats, particularly omega-3 fatty acids. The latter will help restore the sliding muscle surface in knotted-up areas of your body, while everything else will help with healing. Also consume anti-inflammatory foods like ginger, green tea extract, and garlic, to name a few.
In the PM hours of the evening, relax with an epsom salt bath or compress. Epsom salts are rich in magnesium, which is a mineral that's often depleted during strenous endurance training. Pour 2-3 cups of empsom salt in you batch and soak for 15-20 minutes. Not only will you body feel relaxed, but your muscles will feel softened, too.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.