Your home should be a safe haven, not only from the stress you face from day to day life, but also from any illnesses and environmental hazards. As such, you should employ ways that will keep it safe and toxic free. Here are some of the tips to keeping your home healthy.
Below we share with you 9 tips to keep your home its healthiest.
1. Only choose safe cleaning products. A common mistake people make with their cleaning products is not looking at what they comprise of. These cleaning agents are used all over the home ranging from the bathrooms, the kitchen, the living rooms, and even the floors. Selecting cleaning products that are safe and non-toxic ensures your home is safe.
2. Stay away from synthetic materials. Most people will find this step one of the hardest, as synthetic materials tend to be the cheaper option. Thus, you will find most household items such as carpets; clothing, furnishings and more are cheaper when made from synthetic fires. However, if you would like to keep your home safe you would be better off with items made from organic fibers.
3. Let fresh air in. A common mistake most people do is constantly running their air conditioning to keep their air in their home circulating. However, this is not the best way of doing this. It is advisable to open your windows and even your skylight if you have one at least once a day to let in some fresh air into the home.
4. Stay away from paints and glue that contain VOC. You can get alternatives that contain low amounts of these and these tend to be much safer for use in your home. Constant exposure to VOC from the paint in your home could affect your health as well as the people who live in your home.
5. Open the window when taking a bath or a shower. If you do not have a window in your bathroom, install a fan. This is because humid bathrooms are a haven for mold. In small amounts, this mold may not be harmful but when it accumulates over time, it could be a health hazard.
6. Clean your home regularly. Most people probably do this but do not do it thoroughly. Dust bunnies tend to accumulate over time. The more dust bunnies present in your home, the less clean the air that you breathe is. Whether you're cleaning marble countertops or vacuuming the house, be sure to do it thoroughly to keep your home its healthiest.
7. Have the furnaces and heaters in your home inspected regularly. The most common problem that one could encounter with these appliances is leaks. Gas leaks could not only kill you by inhaling the flames, but they also pose a risk of an explosion occurring. Most people assume they would immediately smell a gas leak but slow leaks typically go unnoticed thus it is recommended to have them looked at from time to time.
8. In addition to having your appliances checked for leaks, also ensure that you have smoke and carbon dioxide detectors installed in your home.
9. Switch off electrical appliances when they are not in use. Not only is this cost effective on your utility bills, but it also decreases your exposure to EMFs.
Thanks for reading these 9 tips on keeping your home healthy. If you have any additional tips that you'd like to share, please add them in the comments section below.continue...
Your home is supposed to be a safe, clean, and health environment for you and your family to reside. However, it's becoming increasingly common to see homes that are neglected of good health and cleanliness.
In addition, homeowners should be well aware of the different hazards that could lead to an array of health ailments, such as lead poisoning, asthma, and a host of other health problems. Here we share with you a number of tips keep your home healthy and clean.
One of the most common causes of asthma as well as upper respiratory tract infection is moisture in the home. This moisture will come from both the interior as well as the exterior of the home. You can prevent the accumulation of moisture by ensuring that the home has been constructed properly and that plumbing systems are working efficiently. Excess moisture in the home makes your house prone to the growth of mold, infestation by pests and also poor ventilation.
Pests are one of the leading causes of allergens in the house as well as being disease causing vectors. You can ensure that pests do not gain entry into your home by sealing any holes and cracks in walls, getting rid of any water sources around the home and ensuring that all food is stored in sealed containers. One thing to note about pest control is that using pesticides also puts you and your family at risk of getting poisoned. As such, it is better to look for options that will not be harmful to either humans or pests such as diatomaceous earth or boric acid.
Most people will claim to clean their homes on a regular basis but how thoroughly do you clean your house? Dust should be cleaned out daily as its accumulation can cause a number of health problems. Keep in mind pesticides and other chemicals that can be found in products around the home and cause allergic reactions. You should control the amount of dirt that comes into the home and also take note of the cleaning products that are used around the home. Some cleaning products as simple as a basic marble cleaner can have unwanted chemicals that could pose health risks.
Air quality is a serious household concern that easily goes overlooked by the common homeowner. In short, the air you breathe in your home should be as clean as possible. Proper ventilation will ensure the house remains well ventilated with a good circulation of air. There are also a number of air cleaning products that you can buy that help filter dust and allergens from air. These devices are great investments, especially for older homes that might have less clean of air quality than a newer home.
This simple means ensuring there are no contaminants that could poison the people of that household the biggest culprit of this is cleaning products as they tend to have a wide range of harmful chemicals. The paint that you use is also an important consideration if you would like to avoid exposure to lead poisoning. In some cases, you may want to consider hiring an inspector to evaluate certain areas of your home that are prone to such risks. In addition, you may also want to assess how well the home is sealed and protected from contaminants. A good grout sealer can go a long way.
Keeping your home safe will make its occupants less prone to health issues and injuries. One of the best places to start would be installing smoke detectors in the home as fires tend to be the leading cause of injuries. If you already have fire alarms, then consider having a fire alarm inspection done to ensure all devices are in good working condition.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.