I’ve always praised the benefits of including superfoods in your diet. They are perfect for boosting your metabolism, can help you gain muscle fast and drop body fat as well.
But superfoods have many more benefits than just improving your metabolism and physique.
Many people overlook the importance of superfoods when it comes to brain health.
Superfoods can improve cognitive function, neurological focus and even your mood. Superfoods can also help you lower your stress levels and deal with life’s everyday demands.
So I’ve decided to write this article on the best superfoods to improve your brain health. Here are 10 foods that can help you do so:
1. Salmon - Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids and these healthy fats can have a significant impact on the health of your brain. Salmon can help you concentrate and stay alert; something that I’m sure we all wish we could do on a regular basis.
2. Blueberries - Blueberries are simply a fantastic food to include in your diet. They contain antioxidants which can help to strengthen connections between brain cells and improve your overall mental thinking. Some recent research done on blueberries indicates that they can help infants early on in life by helping them build stronger neuron connections as well.
3. Dark Chocolate - Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and contains many natural stimulants such as caffeine, which as we all know can help keep you alert and awake at all hours of the day.
4. Broccoli - Broccoli contains many brain protecting compounds and is also high in vitamin C, which has been proven to improve cognitive function.
5. Seeds - Things like pumpkin seeds, grape seeds and nutiva organic chia seeds contain many vitamins and minerals that can improve your ability to focus. Some of these include magnesium and zinc.
6. Whole Grains - The fiber in whole grains not only help you stay full and lose weight fast, but whole grains but the Vitamin B content in whole grains has been shown to make you more alert.
7. Avocado - Not only is avocado absolutely delicious, but eating avocado on a regular basis can help support a healthy brain, due to the vitamin E content in the food and the healthy fats it contains. Including more healthy fats in your diet can definitely improve brain function and there was actually a study done on pilots about this topic. The more fat the pilots ate, the better their ability to fly a plane and the less fat they ate, the more their performance in the air suffered. It’s amazing how much of a difference one macronutrient can make. Eat fat!
8. Green Tea - Just like dark chocolate, green tea is high in antioxidants and caffeine which can lower your stress levels, improve your mood and keep you focused and alert at all hours of the day.
9. Nuts - Rather your goal is to lose weight or to improve your brain health, nuts are a fantastic snack to help you do so. The high fat content, protein and vitamins can help keep you on top of your game.
10. Water - Yeah, I know this isn’t a food, but research indicates that the more hydrated you are, the better you will score on tests. So always drink enough water, especially on that big exam day! I drink about a gallon of water per day.
About the Author My name is Drew and I have been a fitness coach for the past 12 years, helping my clients pack on muscle and lose fat. My life revolves around fitness and I absolutely love what I do! I will continue to help people achieve their fitness goals for the rest of my life. Follow me on Google+.continue...
If you want to lose fat and build muscle, you need various veggies, proteins, carbs, fruits and healthy fats. Protein does not only help in muscle building, it also enhances fat loss. Eating fats enhances fat loss too. The body reserves fats if you do not take in more fats.
Veggies and fruits contain minerals and vitamins that help in the recovery of workouts. Carbs fuel one’s muscles, making them feel energetic at the gym. Many people struggle to acquire these foods possibly because of being busy or for lack of required information. Here are the top 15 foods for your muscle recovery:
1. Whole eggs - This is a rich and cheap protein source: about 7g per egg. The egg yolk has vitamins A, E and D, half the protein, and cholesterol for natural increase in testosterone amounts. Do not worry about egg cholesterol as dietary cholesterol is not limited to blood cholesterol. Instead, bad cholesterol requires a reduction in body fat.
2. Fish oil - This lower skin and joint inflammation, lowers body fat besides raising testosterone levels. You require 9000mg DHA/EPA per day. Because getting this from a fatty fish may be hard, you should consider the fish oil supplement.
3. Wild caught salmon - It is among the best Omega-3 sources. Omega-3 fatty acids offer you 20g protein/100g serving. However, farm raised salmon has lower levels of omega-3. Therefore, use wild salmon.
4. Berries - These strong antioxidants prevent cancer, eye and heart diseases. Any type of berries works. Go for frozen or fresh ones and blend them with oatmeal.
5. Flax seeds - It is a source of fiber, omega-3 and protein. To benefit from these seeds, grind them. Take one tablespoon with berries and yogurt before sleeping. Avoid flax oil because it has no fiber and is unstable.
6. Extra virgin olive oil - Has 70 percent monosaturated fats, which protect one against heart ailments and cancer. Add one to two tablespoon of olive oil to salads.
7. Broccoli - They contain large amounts of anti-estrogen indoles and cancer-fighting phytochemicals. Broccoli also contains low calorie and large amounts of soluble fiber that aid in fat loss. For a change eat the other cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, kale, and cauliflower.
8. Spinach - It an alkaline food that prevents bone and muscle loss. It also prevents cancer and heart disorders because it is rich in nutrients.
9. Quinoa - It is rich in protein and fiber than oats and rice. It is gluten free and tastes better. Go for the whiter grain, as it has better quality. Take it after workouts with spinach and meat.
10. Oats - They reduce cholesterol and supply you with the low-gi carbs for energy. They are high in soluble fiber.
11. Tomatoes - Are rich in lycopene that prevents cancer. Tomato paste’s lycopene is four times more bioavailable than what fresh tomatoes contain. After strength training, have pasta or pizza with tomato sauce and some olive oil.
12. Apples - They contain pectin what helps in weight loss by raising satiety. Moreover, apples are strong antioxidants. Since pests contaminate most apples, choose organic.
13. Water - the body holds water if you do not drink sufficient. Therefore, drinking it averts water retention, hinders dehydration and aids in muscle recovery.
14. Carrots - They are rich in vitamin A that enhances vision especially at night. They contain high fiber, and low calorie.
15. Green tea - It is a natural diuretic and strong antioxidant. It accelerates fat loss, improves circulation and blood sugar and prevents cancer. Drink it in the morning rather than coffee.
Stayed tuned on the Health n' Wellness blog for more nutrition tips for exercise, muscle recovery, and optimal health.continue...
Most people think it's cheaper to eat prepackaged convenience foods than it is to eat healthy food. "It's expensive to buy good food" is a common complaint. But is that really true?
Probably, if you're comparing cost per calorie, but if you're comparing cost per nutritional value, there's no contest. Healthy food is the better value every time and lets face it, most of us and our kids are not lacking in calorie intake, but getting all of the nutrition we need can be a challenge.
Let's compare two common snacks - a peanut butter cookie and an apple.
Let's say a single cookie and an apple bought in a convenience store both costs about a dollar. You get about 120 calories from the cookie and only 100 calories from the apple so it seems like you're getting a little more for your money with the cookie, right?
Not so fast. Let's compare the nutritional value.
The cookie provides zero vitamin A and zero vitamin C, less than a half a gram of fiber, about 6 grams of unhealthy fat and over 15 grams of added sugars for sweetening.
The apple, on the other hand, provides 75 IUs of vitamin A, 8 mgs of vitamin C, over a gram of fiber, less than half a gram of fat and about 20 grams of natural, healthy, energy-producing fruit sugar (among many other vitamins and nutrients).
It's easy to see the apple provides a lot more nutrition and a lot less unhealthy fat and sugar than the peanut butter cookie, for the same amount of money. And, the apple will provide just as much, if not more, relief from hunger pangs.
Healthy snacks, such as fresh fruits and vegetables or unsalted nuts and seeds, bought in bulk and divided into convenient snack portion sizes make great nutritional and financial sense. Just store them in your refrigerator and pack them into reusable cotton snack bags to take with you whenever you venture away from home.
Buying in bulk saves you money. Doing your own preparation and packaging of snacks saves you money. Packing snacks in reusable snack bags saves a small fortune in plastic baggies and helps to also protect the environment. But that's not all.
According to the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association and the National Institutes of Health, the standard American diet of fast, fat and fried foods is responsible for killing three out of every four Americans every year. The American junk food diet greatly contributes to our national epidemic of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, heart disease and certain forms of cancer.
By packing healthy snacks for your eco-friendly lunch products, you'll be taking care of your own health and pocketbook while also contributing to lower health care costs for you and your family well into in the future.continue...
The processes and cells which support vibrant and strong hair mostly depend on balanced diet. Both bad and good changes in the hair would manifest itself after quite a longer time as compared to changes in the skin and hair folicals.
So to get your started on a dietery means to fabulous looking hair, below are seven of the best foods to eat for healthy hair.
Salmon is very rich in vitamin D, proteins and omega 3 fatty acids. A person's body cannot manufacture enough of fatty acids which are essential for the growth of hair and thus the need to be supplemented. Fatty acids are mainly found in the scalp cell membrane and natural oils. They keep your hair and scalp hydrated.
Other options- For those individuals who are not impressed with salmon fish, they can opt for sardine, herring, mackerel and scout to get essential and important fatty acids. They can also use pumpkin seeds, walnuts and avocado.
Walnut is the only kind of nut with a rather significant level of omega 3 fatty acids. They are only rich in vitamin E and biotin which plays a role of protecting the cells from the damage of DNA. This is great especially because the hair rarely receives shielding from the sun's rays. Also walnuts have copper which keeps your hair rich in color and shiny.
Lack of zinc can result in flaky or even worse loss of hair. Oysters have zinc and their consumption could help prevent hair loss. Zinc can be found in whole grain breads and fortified cereals but zinc from oyster is the best because it has also proteins. Proteins are essential for the body to replace the hair that is shed naturally each and every day. You can get zinc with nuts, eggs and beef.
Sweet potato is a source of antioxidant beta carotene that the body eventually converts to vitamin A. Basically no cell of the body can work when vitamin A is not enough. It also assists in protection and production of oil meant to sustain the scalp. Other options that can be used are carrots, mangoes and pumpkins.
An egg is a great source of proteins and has four minerals: selenium, zinc, iron and sulfur. Iron helps in transporting oxygen to the follicles of the hair thus very crucial. Most common hair loss especially in women is caused by too little iron. Iron source can also be boosted with chicken, fish and other animal sources.
Spinach has iron, folate, beta carotene and vitamin C that keep scalp oil circulating and hair follicles healthy. Other leafy vegetables such as kale and broccoli can serve the same purpose as spinach.
These are legumes that are rich in iron, protein, biotin and zinc. Yes, they are tiny but mighty. They are therefore great especially for the meat eaters and the vegetarians. Soybeans and kidney beans can act as a substitute for this and can be added into your salad or food.
Beyond the treatments you can receive at your local hair salon in Peoria, Illinois, food and nutrition are elemtnal to healthy looking hair. Other than the food we eat, hormonal imbalances, smoking and lack of enough sleep can impact on the look and feel of your hair. These are considerations you should keep in mind to keep your hair healthy and resilient.
In conclusion, eating a balanced diet is highly recommended as far as the care of hair is concerned. These foods basically help to nourish your hair and thus maintain its shiny and glamorous look.continue...
A massage from natural oil can be blissfully comforting and relaxing. Using natural oils for massage gives the body's immunity a boost and leads the toxins from the blood and fluids from the lymphatic nodes to the kidney and out of the body. These natural massage oils can also induce energy and alertness. And most commonly, people use natural oils to add luster to their skin and improve complexion. So why not apply these same great oils for a massage?
It is important to choose your massage oil wisely, as some oils tend to leave you feeling greasy after a massage, while some others go rancid quickly and give an unpleasant smell. Even worse, some oils may cause allergic reactions on your skin type. So mostly you must look for natural massage oils which suit almost all skin types.
Based on our research, the best three natural oils for massage are sesame oil, grape-seed oil and sweet almond oil. Below we go into the benefits (both general health benefits and skin benefits) of these natural oils for massage.
Sesame oil is a magical potion that offers many beauty and health care benefits. It emanates a pleasant smell which makes it an ideal base for massage oils. Its health benefits are simply amazing.
Grape-seed oil, as the name suggests, is extracted from seeds of grapes, typically wine grapes. It is light in color and flavor. It is polyunsaturated and contains many beneficial compounds like linoleic acid. It is a good choice for massage oil as it glides smoothly on the skin and also moisturizes it. It assists skin repair due to its astringent and antiseptic properties.
Sweet almond oil is by far one of the most popular massage oils. It is extracted from almonds and is pale yellow in color. It makes a good choice for massage oil as it allows hands to easily glide over the skin and gets absorbed fairly quickly. Also it is more reasonable than other natural massage oils. It usually doesn't cause skin irritation. It is rich in vitamin E, antioxidants and protein content.
If you want to learn more about the various types of massage oils that are ideal for your skin, you can visit N8 Touch Massage in Bloomington, IL. Their massage therapists are experts in knowing the ideal massage oils to use for you skin.continue...
You may have heard that you are what you eat. That’s because your diet affects your overall health. But diet also affects the health of your teeth and gums - they’re all related. Choosing the right foods is a vital component of good hygiene and optimal oral health.
By following a good diet, along with oral health, you can avoid unwanted trips to the local dentist office. In fact, reputable dentist in Alexandria Minnesota emphasizes the importance of remaining “focused on the traditional values,” stressing the importance of diet, clean eating, and regular oral health care as key cornerstones to a healthy mouth.
Eating well offers benefits to your body in general. The quality of your diet affects your energy levels, helps your body operate at peak efficiency, and prevents health issues down the line. You need a balanced and diverse mixture of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients from fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Lean sources of protein should also be included. You should cut back on foods with large amounts of fat, salt, and sugar, and drink lots of water. Tap water, which is often fluoridated, is ideal. Limit between-meal snacks. A diet high in nutrition is essential to our continued good health. But this is something most of us already know.
You’ve heard it before - sugar is bad for your teeth. This is because the bacteria in your mouth that becomes plaque feeds on sugar to give it energy. This causes the bacteria to grow and stick to your teeth enamel. Common sources of sugar are desserts, candy, cookies, pastries, and soft drinks, but any food with sugars of any kind can contribute to the problems.
In addition to that, a lack of the proper nutrients makes it harder for mouth tissues to resist infection. This can contribute to gum disease and speeds its development. Also, because more saliva to wash away acids is created when you eat a full meal, snacking can be harmful.
While nutritious foods are usually good, some of these foods can have a bad effect on tooth enamel if eaten alone. For dental health, avoid dried fruits that stick to teeth, and acidic fruits such as citrus. Empty-calorie foods and sweets like muffins, cakes, and chips should be avoided because they contain a type of sugar that can adhere to teeth.
On the other hand, foods high in phosphorus and calcium, which protect and rebuild enamel, can help your teeth. These include cheese, milk, plain yogurt, leafy greens, nuts, meats, poultry, and fish. Fruits and vegetables high in fiber and water can balance the sugars and stimulate saliva production. If they contain vitamin C, they can also help promote healthy gums and quick healing. If they have vitamin A, they can also help rebuild tooth enamel.
The health of your teeth and gums is tied to your overall health. In fact, one can be a symptom of the other. Diet plays a huge role in tooth decay, which is the most common chronic disease in children and pediatric dentistry. Because they’re so tied to one another, you can vastly improve your dental health by making simple changes in the way you eat.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.