I’ve always praised the benefits of including superfoods in your diet. They are perfect for boosting your metabolism, can help you gain muscle fast and drop body fat as well.
But superfoods have many more benefits than just improving your metabolism and physique.
Many people overlook the importance of superfoods when it comes to brain health.
Superfoods can improve cognitive function, neurological focus and even your mood. Superfoods can also help you lower your stress levels and deal with life’s everyday demands.
So I’ve decided to write this article on the best superfoods to improve your brain health. Here are 10 foods that can help you do so:
1. Salmon - Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids and these healthy fats can have a significant impact on the health of your brain. Salmon can help you concentrate and stay alert; something that I’m sure we all wish we could do on a regular basis.
2. Blueberries - Blueberries are simply a fantastic food to include in your diet. They contain antioxidants which can help to strengthen connections between brain cells and improve your overall mental thinking. Some recent research done on blueberries indicates that they can help infants early on in life by helping them build stronger neuron connections as well.
3. Dark Chocolate - Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and contains many natural stimulants such as caffeine, which as we all know can help keep you alert and awake at all hours of the day.
4. Broccoli - Broccoli contains many brain protecting compounds and is also high in vitamin C, which has been proven to improve cognitive function.
5. Seeds - Things like pumpkin seeds, grape seeds and nutiva organic chia seeds contain many vitamins and minerals that can improve your ability to focus. Some of these include magnesium and zinc.
6. Whole Grains - The fiber in whole grains not only help you stay full and lose weight fast, but whole grains but the Vitamin B content in whole grains has been shown to make you more alert.
7. Avocado - Not only is avocado absolutely delicious, but eating avocado on a regular basis can help support a healthy brain, due to the vitamin E content in the food and the healthy fats it contains. Including more healthy fats in your diet can definitely improve brain function and there was actually a study done on pilots about this topic. The more fat the pilots ate, the better their ability to fly a plane and the less fat they ate, the more their performance in the air suffered. It’s amazing how much of a difference one macronutrient can make. Eat fat!
8. Green Tea - Just like dark chocolate, green tea is high in antioxidants and caffeine which can lower your stress levels, improve your mood and keep you focused and alert at all hours of the day.
9. Nuts - Rather your goal is to lose weight or to improve your brain health, nuts are a fantastic snack to help you do so. The high fat content, protein and vitamins can help keep you on top of your game.
10. Water - Yeah, I know this isn’t a food, but research indicates that the more hydrated you are, the better you will score on tests. So always drink enough water, especially on that big exam day! I drink about a gallon of water per day.
About the Author My name is Drew and I have been a fitness coach for the past 12 years, helping my clients pack on muscle and lose fat. My life revolves around fitness and I absolutely love what I do! I will continue to help people achieve their fitness goals for the rest of my life. Follow me on Google+.continue...
While the connection between creativity and mental illness has been documented since 4th Century B.C., today many studies are beginning to show that creativity can actually affect mental health positively. Whether designing custom tank tops or learning how to play the piano, any form of art can bring out a positive psychological change in an individual.
The Arts & Health Foundation has stated that participating in a creative activity can provide a mental boost. How? Check out some of these insights to learn more about how creativity affects mental health.
For years, scientists studied the effects of creativity on mental illnesses. Many artists were considered to be suffering from various mental disorders, and a study done at Swedish Institutions like Gothenburg University as well as Uppsaala University found that artists were more at risk for Bipolar Disorder. This study was funded by Swedish Psychiatry Foundation as well as Swedish Medical Research Foundation.
However, today many other research studies conducted across the globe believe quite the opposite. While it may be true that artists, most commonly writers and musicians, are more susceptible to bipolar disorder, creativity is a source for inspiration and an improved sense of well-being for most ordinary people.
Creativity provides a medium for outlet of emotions, and is also a great source of happiness in many people. Yes, mental health can affect creativity and bring out the best in an artist, but its also true that creativity can affect mental health. So whether you're taking guitar or piano lessons, or embark on customizing tank tops as your career, exercising your sense of creativity can promote great things for your brain.
In the book Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being written by Martin Seligman (who is considered to be an expert on positive psychology) he explains that psychological well-being is based on 5 elements. These are:
Creativity accomplishes all of these, which is why being creative can make a person feel proud about himself and have a deeper connection with his inner-self as well as the community. With an improved sense of self worth comes mental stability and satisfaction, both of which are important for enhanced mental health.
Creativity comes with many benefits for improved mental health, some of which include: safe outlet for emotions and unexpressed feelings, improved concentration and focus, stress relief, confidence boost, enhanced manual dexterity and connecting with other creative members of the society.
Since creativity is good for mental health, here are some tips to incorporate creative exercises in ones day to day life.
Whether you enjoy art, music, dancing, writing, poetry or some other form of creative activity, join a local class where you can hone on your skills and get to meet like-minded people. Many individuals find pianos and piano lessons to offer outlets for creativity, rhythm, and hand-eye coordination.
Creation is one of the most powerful forms of creativity. From designing your own custom tank top to drawing the blueprints to your next big projects, a great deal of imagination and creatvity goes into the process.
Keep aside a set time for creative activities every week. Create a creative corner in your home and enjoy doing the activities that bring you most happiness. Start with 2-3 hours a week, and increase the time as you begin to see positive changes in your psychological wellbeing.
To boost your creativity, come up with quick exercises and activities. If you are a writer, try to convert a comedy in to a drama. If you are a musician, try to merge the best parts of two or three of your favorite tunes and create a new one. If you are an artist, list two of your favorite art forms and try to do a piece where the best features from both can be highlighted.
Based on your creative interests, keep yourself challenged and engaged by coming up with new ideas.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.