Your home should be a safe haven, not only from the stress you face from day to day life, but also from any illnesses and environmental hazards. As such, you should employ ways that will keep it safe and toxic free. Here are some of the tips to keeping your home healthy.
Below we share with you 9 tips to keep your home its healthiest.
1. Only choose safe cleaning products. A common mistake people make with their cleaning products is not looking at what they comprise of. These cleaning agents are used all over the home ranging from the bathrooms, the kitchen, the living rooms, and even the floors. Selecting cleaning products that are safe and non-toxic ensures your home is safe.
2. Stay away from synthetic materials. Most people will find this step one of the hardest, as synthetic materials tend to be the cheaper option. Thus, you will find most household items such as carpets; clothing, furnishings and more are cheaper when made from synthetic fires. However, if you would like to keep your home safe you would be better off with items made from organic fibers.
3. Let fresh air in. A common mistake most people do is constantly running their air conditioning to keep their air in their home circulating. However, this is not the best way of doing this. It is advisable to open your windows and even your skylight if you have one at least once a day to let in some fresh air into the home.
4. Stay away from paints and glue that contain VOC. You can get alternatives that contain low amounts of these and these tend to be much safer for use in your home. Constant exposure to VOC from the paint in your home could affect your health as well as the people who live in your home.
5. Open the window when taking a bath or a shower. If you do not have a window in your bathroom, install a fan. This is because humid bathrooms are a haven for mold. In small amounts, this mold may not be harmful but when it accumulates over time, it could be a health hazard.
6. Clean your home regularly. Most people probably do this but do not do it thoroughly. Dust bunnies tend to accumulate over time. The more dust bunnies present in your home, the less clean the air that you breathe is. Whether you're cleaning marble countertops or vacuuming the house, be sure to do it thoroughly to keep your home its healthiest.
7. Have the furnaces and heaters in your home inspected regularly. The most common problem that one could encounter with these appliances is leaks. Gas leaks could not only kill you by inhaling the flames, but they also pose a risk of an explosion occurring. Most people assume they would immediately smell a gas leak but slow leaks typically go unnoticed thus it is recommended to have them looked at from time to time.
8. In addition to having your appliances checked for leaks, also ensure that you have smoke and carbon dioxide detectors installed in your home.
9. Switch off electrical appliances when they are not in use. Not only is this cost effective on your utility bills, but it also decreases your exposure to EMFs.
Thanks for reading these 9 tips on keeping your home healthy. If you have any additional tips that you'd like to share, please add them in the comments section below.continue...
To best ensure that your marble sustains its natural finished look for a lifetime, the right approach to cleaning and care is paramount. Marble is a bit more fragile than other forms of natural stone or ceramic tiles, which requires a unique approach to maintenance and care.
Several types of cleaners that typically used for ceramics can result in staining or harming natural stone like marble or granite. For this reason, it's crucial that when cleaning a marble stone surface, you use a marble cleaning solution that contains a low concentration of acid.
Aside from what type of cleaner your use for marble, how you clean marble is just as significant. Because natural stone like marble and granite is much more fragile than types of ceramics, sand granules and dirt particles can scratch the stone when wiping the surface. It's thus important that you take the necessary steps in cleaning marble the right way.
When cleaning a unique stone surface like marble, it's important that you use only marble cleaners that are designated for such natural stone. Most types of marble cleaners will be free of acid, or a very low concentrate of neutral pH cleaners. This will help to ensure that the already existing seal or wax finish is not blemished during the marble cleaning process.
Before cleaning a marble countertop or floor, ensure that the marble surface is dampened with clean water. This will make the marble cleaning solution to be more effective in breaking down grime and other particles. The ideal applicators for marble cleaners are sponges, mops, and microfiber clothes. First use a spray bottle or a misting applicator to cover the marble surface effectively. Once applied, allow the marble cleaner to rest for the suggested amount of time as recommended by the manufacturer of the cleaner. Next, carefully scrub the marble surface with a with a clean sponge, mop, or soft bristle brush.
Once the marble has been effectively cleaned and sanitized, you can periodically apply a finish or wax to further enhance the marble's beauty. First, apply the refinishing solution with a spray bottle and immediately buff the marble with a nylon pad. Depending on how old the marble is, you may want to re-apply refinishing solution as often as needed. You can typically find marble refinishing kits in retail stores or on the Internet.
In some parts of the home or landscape where marble may have been neglected, you may need to use a more heavy-duty marble cleaning solution to effectively remove dirt and grime. In these case, try to pinpoint a heavy-duty marble cleaner that has low amounts of organic compounds for more thorough cleaning. These natural cleaning products are optimally concentrated to deep-clean marble without causing any long-term damage. Some marble refinishing kits will even include everything you need for heavy-duty marble cleaning.
Cleaning and caring for marble is not difficult when you know what you're doing. We hope these marble cleaning tips will help you keep your marble surfaces shining for years.continue...
Many individuals and families strive to make their homes a safe haven that's completely free of pollutants and harmful toxins. From keeping the home clean and sanitary to preparing organic, healthy meals, many families today are advocates of healthy living. However, one concerning aspect of sustaining a healthy home is the type of household cleaners that are used around the house.
Unlike traditional cleaning solutions, natural household cleaners help to provide a healthier and more environmentally friendly alternative to using toxic, chemically-based solvents found in most soaps, disinfectants, detergents, and other household cleaning products. These popular, yet potential harmful cleaners carry chemicals that might affect the home in unimaginable ways.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the air quality in the average American household is over 100 times higher in pollutants than outdoor air. This is primarily due to common home cleaning products. Many of these household cleaning products pose immediate risks for concern, such as respiratory problems, skin irritation, watery or burning eyes, and potentially poisoning. Some extremely potent household cleaners can even warrant long-term health issues and mysterious chronic ailments such as hormonal disruption, brain damage, and even cancer.
In addition to the health concerns of popular cleaning products, once these chemical cleaners are washed down drains and into drainage sewers, many harmful toxins fail to break-down. As a result, these chemicals are drained into bodies of water where they can carry serious detriment to wildlife and the surrounding natural environment.
The U.S. Geological Survey conducted a research study in May of 2002 to analyze the amount of contaminants found in stream water samples across the country. The researchers of the study found “persistent detergent metabolites in 69% of all streams tested." Adding to that alarming statistic, 63% of the stream water samples contained disinfectants.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. If common consumers continue to use these chemically-based cleaning solvents, these numbers will rise even further, causing even more harm to the environment.
Opting to use organic household cleaners is without question the best way to minimize the infection toxins and chemicals have in our homes and throughout the environment. The first step toward healthier cleaning alternatives is taking the time to read product labels careful, research the chemicals used in certain solvents, and make efforts to only use organic cleaners.continue...
Information and resources on several topics pertaining to better health and wellness.
Discover the top spine specialists in the state of New Jersey - Dr. Joshua Rovner.
Explore a wide range of articles that focus on living better through habitual change and progression.
Offering 30+ years of experience as the leading chiropractors in Bloomington, IL, chiropractors Dr. Timothy Bly and Dr. Justin Hillman stay on the cutting-edge of chiropractic care.
A resource for parents on health and wellness topics like childhood nutrition, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles.
Get the latest research, news, and insights about all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery.
Triathlon Coaching, Training Tips, & Resources on How to Become a Better Triathlete.
Explore some of Michigan's top breast augmentation specialists in cities like Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
Find top breast augmentation surgeons, cost estimates and other information about breast augmentation in the Bay Area.
Information about fitness, weight lose, and living a healthier life.
New York Times blog about health and wellness, particularly fitness and nutrition.
Surprise is still one of the most effective ways to grab attention and promote wellness. See how these giveaways and gifts can make an impact.
Comprehensive family dentistry in Gainesville, Georgia for pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dental care.
Find several different groups specifically about health and wellness
From Zinc sunscreen sticks to high SPF sport sunscreen for athletes. Eco-friendly and water resistent for 8+ hours!
A review blog of various types of plant-based protein powders and supplements.
Wooden toys are almost always made from natural and organic materials. As a result, they offer a safe option compared to conventional toys.
Find Local & Ironman Triathlon Coaches by State at BetterTriathlete.com
Dr. Mik Hamilton is an innovative chiropractor in Berkeley, CA who specializes in The Pettibon System for chiropractic care.
Quest National Services provide medical billing services, EMR software solutions, & other management services to physician practices nationwide.
Atlanta's premier solution for laser hair removal, SmartLipo, Sculpsure, Cellulaze, HydraFacial, and much more.
When you need professional and timely surgery billing solutions, trust Practice Management to help you get revenue sooner from your surgery patients.
A multi-faceted scientist and engineer who is shifting the paradigm in music therapy for mindfulness and health.
The most professional and effective destination for cold laser/K-laser therapy in the Bay Area of California.
Experience a safe and highly-effective treatment to take years of aging off your face.